Pilgrim Centre


Basilica of the Divine Motherhood of Our Lady, Jharkhand
Name:
Basilica of the Divine Motherhood of Our Lady, Jharkhand
Estd:
19th Century
Feast Day:
E-mail:
Website:
Telephone (O) +91 651 2350458
  Contact: Divine Motherhood of Our Lady Basilica! Raja Ulhatu P.ORanchi 834 010    
History
The '''Basilica of the Divine Motherhood of Our Lady''' is a minor basilica in Ulhatu near Ranchi in India. 

The origins of this church can be traced back to 1903 to a remote village called Kawali where a village primary school was opened and placed under the care of a catechist. A village chapel was built at Kawali in 1907 and later shifted to Bhuthataur in 1948. A primary school functioned from here also and a priest attended the mass in this church. This was a time when Ulhatu still formed a part of the Ranchi Cathedral parish.

In 1952 when Fr Defrijn laid the foundation of the church and school building living in a hut. The church was formally established in the year 1953. Soon pilgrims started to arrive at Ulhatu. In this shrine the statue of Our Lady of Halle feeding the child Jesus is placed.

There are several stories that are attached to the Mary in this parish. According to legend when enemies attacked the city of Ranchi the locals sought her help. The statue of Our Lady received all the cannon balls of the enemies becoming blackened but saving the city. This parish happens to be within the Horal Jungle Field Firing Range.

The decree designating it as a basilica was issued on 30 November 2004.