Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Bagdogra
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 935000
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 54614
 
Founded:
14-Jun-97
Diocesan Priests: 24
  Total area:
1200 Sq. km
Religious Priests: 23
 
Province:
Calcutta
Religious Sisters: 136
 
Region:
Bengal
Seminarians:
  Patron:
Jesus the Good Shepherd
  Languages:
  Civil States:

West Bengal: One sub-division (Siliguri) and part of another (Kurseong) among the four sub-divisions of Darjeeling district

Contact Diocese of Bagdogra:
Archbishop's House 32 Mother Teresa Sarani Kolkata-700016 (West Bengal)
Telephone 1:
0353-25 11 182 / 0353-25 18 153
Fax:
25 18 153
 
E-Mail Office:
bishbagdogra@sifi.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Vincent Aind, Bishops of Bagdogra
Name:
Most Rev. Vincent Aind
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0353-25 18 153
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Bagdogra
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Bagdogra
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
19
 
Hospitals:
1
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
1
   
Technical Training Centres:
3
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
4
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
21
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
1
Formation Houses:
5
 
Social Centres:
5
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
10
   
Parallel Colleges:
3
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
2
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
3
       
De-addiction Centres:
1
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Bagdogra
 
In the early part of the twentieth century when the tea gardens in the foothills of Darjeeling required labourers many Adivasis from Chotanagpur migrated to the Terai Plains and gradually settled down there.

The Jesuit Fathers from St. Mary's College Kurseong looked after the spiritual needs of the Adivasi Catholics quite regularly. The first Station was established in Gayaganga in 1933 by Fr A. Bossaerts sj

The area called 'Terai' was established in 1962. As the number of Catholics and local vocations increased and for better care of the Faithful Pope John Paul II decided to divide the Diocese of Darjeeling and thus this Diocese of Bagdogra was created on January 25 1998 with Bishop Thomas D'Souza as its First Bishop.
Prelates of the Diocese of Bagdogra
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Thomas D' Souza 1997 - 2011