Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Balasore
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 7142703
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 22832
 
Founded:
Diocesan Priests: 55
  Total area:
28118 Sq. Kms.
Religious Priests: 10
 
Province:
Cuttack-Bhubaneswar
Religious Sisters: 137
 
Region:
Orissa
Seminarians: 30
  Patron:
Christ the King
  Languages: Oriya Santali Ho Oraon Mundari Hindi Bengali
  Civil States:

East : Bay of Bengal North : Diocese of Jamshedpur Rourkela & Sambalpur South : Archdioces of Cuttack- Bhubaneswar

Contact Diocese of Balasore:
Bishop's House Balasore - 756 001 ORISSA
Telephone 1:
06782-26 20 56 /
Fax:
26 93 93
 
E-Mail Office:
blsbishop@gmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Simon Kaipuram. CM, Bishops of Balasore
Name:
Most Rev. Simon Kaipuram. CM
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 06782-26 00 77
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Balasore
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Thomas Thiruthalil Retired
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Balasore
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
25
 
Hospitals:
1
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
   
Technical Training Centres:
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
2
   
High Schools:
9
Monastries:
5
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
Convents:
14
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
1
Formation Houses:
3
 
Social Centres:
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
20
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
10
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 2        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Balasore
 
The four districts of Orissa i.e Balasore Bhadrak Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar were under the Archdiocese of Calcutta till 1968. Christianity began in Balasore probably during the years 1859 -1865 when church activities were started by Fr Chrysanthus Depart in Midnapur - Balasore area. He settled down at Balasore in 1865. From 1865 till 1936 the Jesuit Fathers residing at Balasore and Krishnachandrapur looked after the Church in Balasore. From 1936 onwards till 1938 there were no residential priests in Balasore and the two church work stations were looked after by the Jesuits of Balasore. Due to an earthquake the church was damaged and later completely dismantled. The Fathers left for Malta and gradually many Christians left Balasore. In 1948 Fathers Vizjak a Jesuit Priest resided at Krishnachandrapur and Balasore alternatively and cared for the needs of the little community which stayed back. From 1964 till 1968 Diocesan Priests from the Diocese of Cuttack rendered their services in Balasore Krishnachandrapur and in Barbil at the request of the Archbishop of Calcutta.

On June 8 1968 the Holy See separated the above mentioned three districts from the Archdiocese of Calcutta and formed them into one unit named "Prefecture of Balasore" annexing it to the ecclesiastical Province of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar. The new Prefecture is entrusted to "Congregation of the Mission". (Vincentians).

On June 14 1968 Bp Jacob Vadakeveetil cm of the Congregation of the Mission was appointed the first Apostolic Administrator and took charge on November 18 1968. On January 13 1990 the Prefecture Apostolic was raised to the status of a diocese and Bp Thomas Thiruthalil cm was appointed its First Bishop.
Prelates of the Diocese of Balasore