Ecclesiastical Details

Archdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 13425486
 
Status:
Archdiocese
Catholics: 64607
 
Founded:
24-Jan-74
Diocesan Priests: 86
  Total area:
15222 Sq km
Religious Priests: 54
 
Province:
Cuttack-Bhubaneswar
Religious Sisters: 194
 
Region:
Orissa
Seminarians: 25
  Patron:
St. Thomas the Apostle
  Languages: Oriya Kui Hindi English Telgu Ho
  Civil States:

Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar Phulbani Puri

Contact Archdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar:
Archbishop's House 9/16 Satyanagar P.O. Bhubaneshwar - 751007 ORISSA
Telephone 1:
0661-26 42 302 / 26 47 041
Fax:
26 47 041
 
E-Mail Office:
rkl_dspastay@sancharnet.in
Website:
 
Most Rev. John Barwa SVD, Archbishops of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
Name:
Most Rev. John Barwa SVD
Designation:
Archbishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0661-26 40 702
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Archdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
 
Pilgrim Centres in theArchdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
422
 
Hospitals:
2
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
3
   
Technical Training Centres:
Minor Seminaries:
3
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
19
Monastries:
 
Crches:
4
   
Lower Primary Schools:
4
Convents:
18
 
Counselling Centres:
4
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
7
 
Social Centres:
2
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
1
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
17
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
2
   
Higher Secondary :
5
       
Boarding Houses:
27
   
Upper Primary Schools:
2
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
4
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 2        
     
       
History of the Archdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
 
The Archdiocese of Cuttack-Bhubaneshwar comprises the civil districts of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar Phulbani (Kandhamal) and Puri in the state of Orissa.

The Diocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar was part of the Diocese of Visakhapatnam since 1845. In 1922 the Spanish Vincentian Fathers came to Orissa. In 1928 Pope Pius XI declared the mission of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar "sui juris".

In 1937 the mission was created into a Diocese and was made suffragan of Ranchi. On January 24 1974 it became a Metropolitan See and Most Rev. Henry D'Souza was appointed the first Archbishop of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar. A part of the former Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar diocese was erected into the Diocese of Berhampur. In April 1985 Archbishop Henry D'Souza was transferred to the Archdiocese of Calcutta. On August 11 1985 Bp Raphael Cheenath svd of the Diocese of Sambalpur succeeded him as Archbishop.
Prelates of the Archdiocese of Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Abp. Henry D?Souza 1974 -1985 Bp. Paul Tobar Gonsalves cm 1949 -1971
Bp. Florencio Sanz Esperanza CM 1939- 1949