Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Dumka
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 4,059,716
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 141051
 
Founded:
08-Aug-62
Diocesan Priests: 50
  Total area:
32157 Sq. Km
Religious Priests: 90
 
Province:
Ranchi
Religious Sisters:
 
Region:
Jharkhand
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Paul
  Languages: Santali Hindi Oraon Paharia Mundari
  Civil States:

Jharkhand: Dumka Sahibganj Pakur Jamtara and Madhupur subdivision of Deoghar West Bengal: Rampurhat sub-division of Birbhum

Contact Diocese of Dumka:
Bishop's House Dudhani Dumka Post 814 101. JHARKHAND.
Telephone 1:
06434-22 24 13 / 22 24 18
Fax:
22 24 18
 
E-Mail Office:
bspdumka@yahoo.co.in
Website:
 
Most Rev. Julius Marandi, Bishops of Dumka
Name:
Most Rev. Julius Marandi
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 06434-22 33 77
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Dumka
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Dumka
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
44
 
Hospitals:
3
   
Degree Colleges:
1
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
   
Technical Training Centres:
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
27
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
5
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
9
 
Social Centres:
5
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
1
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
32
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
2
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
24
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Dumka
 
The Diocese of Dumka was established by Pope John XXIII by the Apostolic Bull "Exulted Sancta Mater Ecclesia" of August 8 1962. The Diocese was formed by fusing together the area of the Santal Mission till then part of Calcutta Archdiocese and the then Prefecture Apostolic of Malda. The diocese then comprised the undivided districts of Santal Praganas (except Godda sub-division and Deoghar and Sarwan thana of Deoghar sub division) and of purnea in Bihar state as well as the districts of Malda and West Dinajpur with Rampuhat sub-division of Birbhum district in West Bengal state.

The Catholic Fathers made various attempts to establish a mission among the Santals by far the most numerous aboriginal tribe in India. From 1826 a Capuchin and from 1887 a Jesuit Priest ministered to the European and Anglo-Indian inhabitants of Purnea district and town then famous for its indigo plantations where a church was built and blessed in 1849 by Bishop Hartmann. The Catholic population was about 250. The resident priest at Purnea also visited Santal Parganas district to offer Mass in the Railway colonies at Sahibganj Rampurhat and Nalhati and at Dumka the district headquarters. A Belgian Jesuit made two exploratory tours to Santal Parganas district to offer Mass in the Railway colonies at Sahibganj Rampurhat and Nalhati and at Dumka the district headquarters. A Belgian Jesuit made two exploratory tours to Santal Parganas district in 1879 and 1887. The Jesuit Fathers from Asansol visited the Catholic families along the Chord Railway line and in 1908 a Church was built at Madhupur in the south-western part of Santal Parganas district.

The real history of the Santal Mission began in 1924. At the invitation of their Fr General the Jesuits of the Sicilian province then including the Island of Malta arrived in Calcutta to help their Belgian confreres and take up the evangelization of the Santal tribe. The following year the first Churh work station was opened for the Santals centered around the village of Majlispur (now part of Raiganj Diocese) some miles north east of Purnea town. The evangelization of Santal Parganas district where the majority of Santals resided began in January 1930 with the arrival of Fr Benjamin Cauchi sj from Majlispur. With the regular arrival of fathers from Malta and Sicily parishes were established and schools were opened.

In August 1962 when Dumka diocese was formed the Catholics in Purnea district had risen to 5295 while the Catholics in Santal Parganas district had since 1930 increased to 19676. The credit for this wonderful development goes to the Archbishop of Calcutta Dr F. Perier sj who gave generous help to the Fathers to establish the Church in Santal Parganas district. The Foreign Missionaries of Milan (PIME) developed Malda Prefecture and at the time of its integration with Dumka Diocese there were 6065 Catholics.

On November 10 1978 the new Diocese of Raiganj was established detaching from Dumka diocese the two civil districts of West Dinajpur and Malda in West Bengal State. Bishop Leo Tigga sj the First Bishop of Dumka was transferred to Raiganj as the First Bishop of the new diocese.

In 1974 the districts of Purnea was bifurcated to create the new district of Katihar. In January 1990 Purnea district was further divided and the new district of Araria and Kishanganj were formed and Purnea became the Divisional Headquarters.

The former district of santal Parganas was elevated into a Division in May 1983 and was divided into four districts namely Dumka Deoghar Godda and Sahibganj. Sahibganj district was divided into two in 1995 namely Sahibganj and Pakur. Of these Dumka Sahibganj and Pakur districts and Madhupur sub-division of Deoghar district form part of Dumka diocese. Thus today Dumka diocese comprises the civil districts of Dimka Dahibganj Pakur Deoghar (Part) Purnea Katihar Araria and Kishanganj in Bihar Rampurhat sub-division of Birbhum district in West Bengal.
Prelates of the Diocese of Dumka
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp.Stephen M. Tiru 1986-1995 Abp.Telesphore Placidus Cardinal Toppo 1978-1984
Bp. Leo Tigga S.J. 1962-1978