Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Guntur
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 5085210
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 2 18 900
 
Founded:
13-Feb-40
Diocesan Priests: 140
  Total area:
22356 sq. kms.
Religious Priests: 66
 
Province:
Vishakapatnam
Religious Sisters: 540
 
Region:
Andhra Pradesh
Seminarians: 54
  Patron:
St. Theresa of Child Jesus
  Languages: Telugu
  Civil States:

Andhra Pradesh: Guntur district Addanki Taluk of Prakasam district

Contact Diocese of Guntur:
Bishop's House Chandramoulinagar Guntur - 522 007. ANDHRA PRADESH
Telephone 1:
0863-23 50 720 / 23 51 234
Fax:
23 51 234
 
E-Mail Office:
Website:
 
Most Rev. Bhagyaiah Chinnabathini, Bishops of Guntur
Name:
Most Rev. Bhagyaiah Chinnabathini
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0863-23 50 255
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Guntur
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Gali Bali Retired
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Guntur
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
629
 
Hospitals:
12
   
Degree Colleges:
3
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
82
   
Technical Training Centres:
20
Minor Seminaries:
6
 
Special Schools:
1
   
High Schools:
67
Monastries:
18
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
112
Convents:
82
 
Counselling Centres:
1
   
Presses & Media Centres:
1
Formation Houses:
1
 
Social Centres:
10
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
21
   
Parallel Colleges:
12
 
Physically Challenged:
2
   
Higher Secondary :
12
       
Boarding Houses:
86
   
Upper Primary Schools:
6
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
4
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
24
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 5        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Guntur
 
Till 1940 Guntur formed a part of the Diocese of Nellore. On February 23 1940 the civil district of Guntur was detached from the Diocese of Nellore and constituted into the new Diocese of Guntur with Msgr Thomas Pothacamury as its First Bishop.

The Telugu Catholics date as far back as 1699. During the Carnatic Mission founded by the French Jesuits there was a large number of Catholics in the Telugu region. With the suppression of the Society of Jesus in 1773 the Paris Mission Society stepped in the field and great progress was made during the time of Bp Bonnand. Later in 1834 the Telugu districts were attached to the Vicariate of Madras which was first manned by the Irish Priests from Maynooth and All Hallows and next by the Mill Hill Fathers till the constitution of the diocese in 1940 when it was entrusted to the indigenous Diocesan Clergy.

The Diocese of Guntur originally corresponded to the civil district of Guntur. In 1970 when Prakasam district was formed some taluks of Guntur district were taken over in the new district. Hence in 1977 by a decree of "Propoganda Fide" all the taluks in Prakasam district were handed over to the Diocese of Nellore except Addanki Taluk which belongs to the Diocese of Guntur.
Prelates of the Diocese of Guntur
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Mariadas Kagithapu 1977-1983 Bp. Balshoury Thanugundla 1974-1977
Bp. Ignatius Mummadi 1943-1974 Bp. Thomas Pothecamury 1940-1943