Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Kannur
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 4037203
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 31197
 
Founded:
00:00.0
Diocesan Priests: 49
  Total area:
?4840 sq kms
Religious Priests: 72
 
Province:
Verapoly
Religious Sisters: 492
 
Region:
Kerala
Seminarians:
  Patron:
Our Lady of Grace
  Languages: English Malayalam
  Civil States:

Kerala: Kannur (to the north of Mah River excluding the territory of the municipality of Mahe) and Kasargod (south of the Chandragiri river)

Contact Diocese of Kannur:
Bishop's House P B No 22 Kottayam Dt Kanjirapally - 686 507 KERALA
Telephone 1:
0497-27 29 977 27 29 988 / 27 29 955
Fax:
27 29 955
 
E-Mail Office:
cnn_diocese@sancharnetin
Website:
 
Most Rev Alex Vadakumthala, Bishops of Kannur
Name:
Most Rev Alex Vadakumthala
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0497-27 29 966
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Kannur
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Kannur
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
72
 
Hospitals:
1
   
Degree Colleges:
3
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
8
   
Technical Training Centres:
1
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
1
   
High Schools:
13
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
14
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
3
 
Social Centres:
2
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
2
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
7
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
10
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
9
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 3        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Kannur
 
Although Christian communities existed in South Kerala from the beginning of Christianity North Kerala known as Malabar had to wait long for the advent of the European missionaries to start their Evangelisation until the 16th century It was with the advent of the Portuguese sailor Vasco de Gama who landed here on 20th May 1498 that the missionaries had access to this area Fr Pedro de Kovilaham the first missionary who came to Malabar with Vasco de Gama died on 31st July 1498 As the Portuguese traders could not get along with the ruler of Calicut "the Zamorin" they moved to Kannur and the "Kolathiri" king of Kannur welcomed them The four Franciscan missionaries with Hovavo Nova their group leader were allowed to build a chapel in Kannur (This is the place where the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Diocese of Kannur is situated) In 1505 the Portuguese Viceroy Francis de Almeida established the famous fort of St Angelos and built the church of St James there?

The four Franciscan missionaries with Hovavo Nova their group leader were allowed to build a chapel in Kannur (This is the place where the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Diocese of Kannur is situated) In 1505 the Portuguese Viceroy Francis de Almeida established the famous fort of St Angelos and built the church of St James there

Visit of St Francis Xavier

The archives of the Society of Jesus in Rome testify that StFrancis Xavier the patron of missions visited Kannur on 24th December 1542 and also on 7th November 1549

Expansion of Malabar Mission

Several Portuguese colonies were formed in the 16th century along the coastal belt of the Arabian Sea A church was built by Dominge Rodrigues in Tellicherry for the Christians there When the British East India company established the Tellicherry Fort in 1708 the Jesuit fathers renovated this church Fr Dominic OCD in 1736 established a church in Mahe to look after the spiritual needs of the French Catholics settled there This church came to be known "the Shrine of Mahe'' or the Shrine of St Theresa of Avila In 1807 St Michael's School was established for the education of boys and in 1871 St Teresa's School for girls in Kannur was started by the Apostolic Carmelites In the 1920's Fr Faustine Aranha began his work among the 'Dalits' of the Kanhangad region

Diocese of Calicut

In 1878 with the handing over of South Kanara and Malabar region to the Jesuits of the Venice Province the mission involvement of the area took a new turn On 12th June 1923 some parts of Malabar which belonged to the Diocese of Mangalore were separated and the new Diocese of Calicut was established There were about 6000 Catholics and 16 Priests spread out in Calicut Tellicherry Kannur Vythiri and Mananthavady There were 50 sisters in three convents and 12 educational institutions The Diocese of Calicut made strides in progress under its holy and able Prelates Paul Perini Leo Proserpio Aldo Maria Patroni and Maxwell Noronha In 1998 the Catholics increased ten fold to about 60000 There were 169 priests 1174 sisters in 105 convents and 245 educational institutions

Chirakal Mission

Under the patronage of Bishop Leo Proserpio in 1937 Fr Peter Caironi SJ started his mission among the Pulayas This marginalised community was given proper housing facilities education and the possibility of a more human existence Fathers John Sequeira Joseph Taffrel SJ James Monthanari SJ Aloysius Del Zotto SJ Michael Vendramin SJ had tried hard to evangelize this area Fr Linus Maria Zucol SJ who continues to work in this area has become a mission legend These missionaries were supported by the Canossian sisters under mother Antoneitta Sala the Deena Sevana Sabha founded by Mother Petra the Ursulines and the others Consequently we have today about 35501 Catholics spread over 51 parishes and 21 mission stations in the two revenue districts of Kannur and Kasaragod

Diocese of Kannur

The diocese of Calicut was spread out to an area of 13051 Sq Kms in six revenue districts In the context of such an extensive area there was the need of a new diocese for the benefit of the faithful Bishop Maxwell Noronha in consultation with the priests religious and the laity requested the Holy See to establish a new diocese at Kannur The Holy Father Pope John Paul II by the Apostolic Brief ?cum ad aeternam? dated 5th November 1998 created the Diocese of Kannur from the Diocese of Calicut On the same day Rt Rev Dr Varghese Chakkalakal who was a professor at StJoseph's Seminary Mangalore and a priest of the diocese of Calicut was elected the Bishop of Kannur and the Bishop elect was consecrated on 7th February 1999 and he took charge of the diocese on 8th February 1999 The Bishop has taken as his motto "according to your will" "Daivathirumanassinu Vidheyathuvam" The new diocese comprises the territory of the civil district of Kannur to the north of Mahe river excluding Pallur Chelakara Panthakal and Chenkallai which belong to the municipality of Mahe and the territory of the civil district of Kasaragod which falls to the south of Chandragiri river The erection of this new diocese was a historical event for Kannur which has 500 years of Christian tradition The establishment of the new diocese on the auspicious occasion of the Platinum Jubilee of the Diocese of Calicut was welcomed with cheer by the people who consider the diocese of Kannur as a gift of God to this region

The new diocese comprises the territory of the civil district of Kannur to the north of Mahe river excluding Pallur Chelakara Panthakal and Chenkallai which belong to the municipality of Mahe and the territory of the civil district of Kasaragod which falls to the south of Chandragiri river The erection of this new diocese was a historical event for Kannur which has 500 years of Christian tradition The establishment of the new diocese on the auspicious occasion of the Platinum Jubilee of the Diocese of Calicut was welcomed with cheer by the people who consider the diocese of Kannur as a gift of God to this region
Prelates of the Diocese of Kannur