Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Khandwa
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 847,363
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 91062
 
Founded:
01-Apr-95
Diocesan Priests: 32
  Total area:
8640 Sq km
Religious Priests: 41
 
Province:
Bhopal
Religious Sisters: 115
 
Region:
Madhya Pradesh
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Michael Archangel
  Languages: Munda Hindi Sadri Oraon
  Civil States:

Khandwa Bhurhanpur Khargone and Barwani

Contact Diocese of Khandwa:
Bishop's house Civil Lines Khandwa - 450 001. MADHYA PRADESH
Telephone 1:
06528-22 03 89 /
Fax:
 
E-Mail Office:
bptiru@sancharnet.in
Website:
 
Most Rev. Arockia Sebastian Durairaj Alangaram SVD, Bishops of Khandwa
Name:
Most Rev. Arockia Sebastian Durairaj Alangaram SVD
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 06528-22 07 16
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Khandwa
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Khandwa
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
20
 
Hospitals:
1
   
Degree Colleges:
2
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
1
   
Technical Training Centres:
1
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
22
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
5
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
4
 
Social Centres:
2
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
13
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
2
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
26
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
2
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Khandwa
 
The history of the advent of mission activities in Khandwa region began with the coming of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales to Asirgarh Fort in 1866. They operated in those days from Nagpur. The first of them was Rev. Fr. Amedeys Delalex who as a military chaplain of Jabalpur had to visit periodically the Asirgarh Fort which was not very far from Khandwa. In 1870 Rev. Fr. J. Thevenet built a small chapel at Khandwa and in 1880 he built a Church in Gothic style which was solemnly blessed by Dr. Meurin Vicar Apostolic of Bombay in the presence of Bishop Tissot of Vishakpatanam. Rev. Fr. Souchon was the first resident parish priest from 1880 to 1888. Gradually Khandwa became the headquarters of mission work. The Franciscan missionaries contributed a major share to this cause especially in places like Khandwa Aulia Sirpur etc. It was in 1932 that the SVD missionaries came to India and this area was then entrusted to their care. Then onwards the Divine Word Missionaries active in both East and West Nimar were instrumental in spreading the Word of God and establishing the local church. Khandwa was part of Indore Diocese.

The Diocese of Khandwa was erected on February 3 1977 by the Papal Bull "Apostolico Officio" of Pope Paul VI. It comprises of the four civil districts of Khandwa Bhurhanpur Barwani and Khargone also called East and West Nimar districts separated from Indore diocese. Bp Abraham Viruthakulangara was appointed the First Bishop of Khandwa. In 1997 he was Transferred and appointed as the Archbishop of Nagapur.
Prelates of the Diocese of Khandwa
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Abp. Leo Cornelio SVD 1999-2007 Abp. Abraham Viruthakulangara 1977-1998