Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Krishnagar
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 10,035,000
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 60000
 
Founded:
1870
Diocesan Priests: 38
  Total area:
24 299 sq.kms
Religious Priests: 34
 
Province:
Calcutta
Religious Sisters: 352
 
Region:
Bengal
Seminarians:
  Patron:
The Most Redeemer
  Languages: Bengali Sentali
  Civil States:

West Bengal: Nadia and Murshidabad

Contact Diocese of Krishnagar:
Bishop's House Nadia Dt. Krishnagar - 741 101. WEST BENGAL
Telephone 1:
03472-25 25 54 / 03472-25 26 64
Fax:
25 26 64
 
E-Mail Office:
bpjomes011@gmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Joseph Suren Gomes, Bishops of Krishnagar
Name:
Most Rev. Joseph Suren Gomes
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P):
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Krishnagar
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Krishnagar
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
20
 
Hospitals:
3
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
3
   
Technical Training Centres:
10
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
6
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
14
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
12
 
Social Centres:
3
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
1
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
13
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
3
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
1
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
3
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 2        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Krishnagar
 
The Augustinians and the Jesuits were he first missionaries to look for the souls for Christ in the beginning of 17th century. Around 1620 they established a catholic centre at Berhampur in Murshidabad district.

Fr. Thomas Zubiburu a Protuguese Carmelite came to Krishnagar in May 1845 from Chitagong and formed the first catholic community at Krishnagar. In 1846 he built a chapel which was dedicated to 'Our Lady of Carmel'. The catholic Mission in Krishnagar was closed when due to illness Fr. Thomas was forced to withdraw. The municipality took over the chapel and converted into a dispensary.

The Milan Fathers (MIME) arrived in 1855 to work in central Bengal Mission consisting of the whole of Assam part of present Bangladesh and present Krishnagar diocese. Fr. Luigi Limana claimed the chapel from municipality and again the catholic community began to group up.

On 19th July 1870 the Holy See erected Krishnagar into a prefecture Apostolic and Fr. Antony Marietti was appointed its first Prefect Apostolic.

Krishnagar was erected a diocese on 1st September 1886 and Mongr. Francis Pozzi was appointed its first Bishop. He built the Cathedral at the sight of old chapel which was destroyed in the earthquake of 1897. He rebuilt a new cathedral at the present site on 29 March 1899 and dedicated to Jesus the Most Holy Redeemer.

When the diocese of Dinajpur was bifurcated on 20th June 1928 the Milan Fathers opted to work for Dinjapur and handed over Krishnagar to the Salesians of Don Bosco.

On 24 May 2001 the Feast of Mary Help of Christians the Salesians of Don Bosco have handed over the Bishop's House to the diocesan clergy.
The Krishnagar diocese is comprised of two civil districts of Naida and Murshidabad in West Bengal India.
Prelates of the Diocese of Krishnagar
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Lucas Sircar sdb 1984- 2000 Bp. Mathew Baroi sdb 1970- 1983
Bp. L.R. Morrow sdb 1939- 1969 Bp. Vincent Scuderi sdb 1935- 1939
Bp. Stephen Fernando sdb 1934-1935 Bp. Emmanuel Bars sdb 1928-1934
Bp. Santino Taveggia 1905-1928 Fr. Frances Pozzi 1886-1905
Bp. Antony Marietti 1870-1879