Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Nellore
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 6,300,000
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 58137
 
Founded:
03-Jul-28
Diocesan Priests: 161
  Total area:
2100 Sq. km
Religious Priests: 9
 
Province:
Vishakapatnam
Religious Sisters: 233
 
Region:
Andhra Pradesh
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Theresa of Child Jesus
  Languages: Telugu Urdu Tamil and English
  Civil States:

Andhra Pradesh: Nellore and Prakasam except Adoni taluk

Contact Diocese of Nellore:
Bishop's House Santhapet Nellore 524 001. ANDRA PREDESH
Telephone 1:
0861-23 31 038 / 0861-23 23 950
Fax:
23 23 950
 
E-Mail Office:
nlrbhs@yahoo.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Moses Doraboina Prakasam, Bishops of Nellore
Name:
Most Rev. Moses Doraboina Prakasam
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0861-23 20 191
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Nellore
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Nellore
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
76
 
Hospitals:
2
   
Degree Colleges:
1
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
6
   
Technical Training Centres:
5
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
3
   
High Schools:
24
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
15
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
6
 
Social Centres:
5
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
14
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
2
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
4
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
5
       
De-addiction Centres:
4
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Nellore
 
The First Fathers in the area were the Jesuits from Pondicherry in 1700. By 1736 many Telugus had joyfully accepted baptism. After the Jesuit withdrawal in 1773 the people were left without priests for 50 years until the priest of the Paris Foreign Missionary Society came. Though few in number these gallant Fathers kept the faith alive so that the northern area of the Carnatic Mission was erected into Vicariate Apostolic and entrusted to the secular Irish Fathers (Maynooth and All Hallows). To aid these fathers priests of St. Joseph's Society Mill Hill London came in 1875 and began working among the Telugus.

The Diocese of Nellore was erected by virtue of the Papal Bull "Ad majus religionis incrementum" dated July 3 1928; however the communication was sent on November 15 1928 mentioning that the decree of erection will take effect on November 26 1928 comprising the civil districts of Nellore Ananthapur Chitoor Cuddapah Kurnool and Guntur and Bp Bouter became the First Bishop of the new diocese.

In 1940 the civil district of Guntur became a Diocese entrusted to the secular clergy. In August 1959 the taluks of Allur and Adoni formerly part of the Diocese of Bellary were added to the Diocese of Nellore. In 1967 the Diocese of Kurnool was formed out of Nellore with the districts of Kurnool and Ananthapur. In 1976 the taluks of Chitoor and Palmaner from the Diocese of Vellore were added to the Diocese of Nellore. In 1977 the Diocese of Cuddapah was carved out of Nellore with the Districts of Cuddapah and Chitoor. At the time the taluks of Giddalur and Markapur of the Diocese of Kurnool and the taluks of Ongole and Chirala were added to the Diocese of Nellore. Today the Diocese of Nellore consists of the district of Nellore and the district of Prakasam except Adoni taluk.
Prelates of the Diocese of Nellore
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. P C Balaswamy 1974-2007 Bp. Thumma Showry 1970-1973
Bp. William Bouter MHM 1929-1970