Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Thanjavur
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 4,874,451
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 239630
 
Founded:
13-Nov-52
Diocesan Priests: 185
  Total area:
?6440 sq. kms.
Religious Priests: 43
 
Province:
Pondicherry-Cuddalore
Religious Sisters: 650
 
Region:
Tamil Nadu
Seminarians: 20
  Patron:
Sacred Heart of Jesus Our Lady of Health Veilankanni
  Languages: Tamil & English
  Civil States:

Tamil Nadu: Thanjavur Thiruvarur and Nagapattinam (except for the two taluks Papanasam and Kumbakonam in Thanjavur) and six taluks of Pudukottai and two taluks of Cuddalore

Contact Diocese of Thanjavur:
Bishop's House Post Box No. 204 V.O.C. NagarThanjavur 613 007. TAMIL NADU
Telephone 1:
04362-23 12 52 / 23 55 24
Fax:
23 55 24
 
E-Mail Office:
bishop_tnj@sancharnet.in
Website:
 
Most Rev. Devadass Ambrose Mariadoss, Bishops of Thanjavur
Name:
Most Rev. Devadass Ambrose Mariadoss
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 04362-23 52 37
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Thanjavur
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Thanjavur
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
1124
 
Hospitals:
3
   
Degree Colleges:
6
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
37
   
Technical Training Centres:
3
Minor Seminaries:
5
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
53
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
81
Convents:
144
 
Counselling Centres:
3
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
6
 
Social Centres:
2
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
2
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
8
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
1
   
Higher Secondary :
28
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
35
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 2        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Thanjavur
 
The Diocese of Thanjavur covers the entire area of the District of Thanjavur and the newly formed districts of Nagapattinam and Tiruvarur (with the exception of two Taluks namely Kumbakonam and Papanasam). The diocese also covers seven Taluks of Pudukkottai and one Taluk of South Arcot district.

The Diocese of Thanjavur originally forming part of the southern portion of the ancient Dioceses of Mylapore was separated from Mylapore and erected into a Diocese on November 23 1952 by the Holy See by the Bull of erection "Exprimaevae Ecclesiae". The town of Thanjavur was made the Episcopal See and the Sacred Heart Church Thanjavur the Cathedral.

The Diocese of Thanjavur is bounded on the east by the Bay of Bengal on the west by the boundaries of Trichy and South Arcot districts on the north by the river Vellar and on the south by Ramnad district.

The territory constituting the present Diocese of Thanjavur had been the fruitful field of heroic labours of Portuguese Padroado Fathers from Goa and other Fathers such as the Franciscans the Jesuits the Foreign Missionary Society of Paris the Salesians and members of the Diocesan Clergy.

Bp R. A. Sundaram was appointed the First Bishop of Thanjavur.
Prelates of the Diocese of Thanjavur
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. P. Arokiaswamy 1986-1997 Bp. R.A. Sundaram 1953-1986