Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Tiruchirapalli
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 2,156,765
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 172053
 
Founded:
19 May 1846
Diocesan Priests: 101
  Total area:
3500.75 Sq kms
Religious Priests: 132
 
Province:
Madurai
Religious Sisters: 870
 
Region:
Tamil Nadu
Seminarians:
  Patron:
Immaculate Conceptions
  Languages: Tamil Malayalam and English.
  Civil States:

Tamil Nadu: Tiruchirapalli and parts of Pudukottai and Karur

Contact Diocese of Tiruchirapalli:
Bishop's House Post Box No. 14 12A Convent Road Tiruchirapalli 620 001. TAMIL NADU
Telephone 1:
0431-24 15 635 / 0431-24 17 502
Fax:
24 17 502
 
E-Mail Office:
trichidio@rediffmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Antony Devotta, Bishops of Tiruchirapalli
Name:
Most Rev. Antony Devotta
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0431-24 01 014
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Tiruchirapalli
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Tiruchirapalli
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
67
 
Hospitals:
4
   
Degree Colleges:
5
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
11
   
Technical Training Centres:
24
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
2
   
High Schools:
20
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
60
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
24
 
Social Centres:
16
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
3
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
20
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
31
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
17
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
2
       
De-addiction Centres:
8
       
          Aged & Destitute: 6        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Tiruchirapalli
 
In 1836 Pope Gregory XIV made Madurai into an Apostolic Prefecture; in 1846 it was raised to an Apostolic Vicariate and entrusted to the Fathers of Society of Jesus. On September 1 1886 the Vicariate became a diocese with the Episcopal residence fixed at Tiruchirapalli with Msgr Alexis Canoz sj as its First Bishop and the territory was called the Diocese of Tiruchirapalli.

In 1923 Pope Pius XI separated the South Eastern part of the diocese known as the Fishery Coast and made it into a separate Diocese of Tuticorin. In 1938 again the South Western portion was divided and made into the Archdiocese of Madurai by the Bull "Si inter infideles".

The present Diocese of Tiruchirapalli comprises Tiruchy and Manaparai taluks of Tiruchirapalli district Kulitalai taluk of Karur district Dindigul Vedasandur and Palani taluks of Dindigul district and Kulathur taluk of Pudukkottai district. The diocese consists of 74 parishes grouped into four Vicariates Vicariates of Tiruchirapalli Manaparai Dindigul and Keeranur.
Prelates of the Diocese of Tiruchirapalli
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Gabriel Lawrence Sengol 1990 - 1997 Bp. Thomas Fernando 1970 - 1990
Bp. James Mendonca 1938 - 1970 Bp. John Peter Leonard S.J 1936 - 1938
Bp. Ange-Auguste Faisandier S.J. 1913 - 1934 Bp. John Barthe S.J. 1890 - 1913
Bp. Alexis Canoz 1846 - 1888