Ecclesiastical Details

Pilgrim Centre of
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Population:
 
Status:
Pilgrim Centre
Catholics:
 
Founded:
16th Century
Diocesan Priests:
  Total area:
Religious Priests:
 
Province:
Religious Sisters:
 
Region:
Seminarians:
  Patron:
  Languages:
  Civil States: West Bengal
Contact Pilgrim Centre of :
Basilica of the Holy Rosary! 629 546, Balagarh,Bandel, ! Hooghly,Kolkata
Telephone 1:
+91 33-26316057 /
Fax:
 
E-Mail Office:
olbandel@cal.vsnl.net.in
Website:
 
, of
Name:
Designation:
    E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P):
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Pilgrim Centre of
 
Pilgrim Centres in thePilgrim Centre of
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
 
Hospitals:
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
   
Technical Training Centres:
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
 
Social Centres:
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Pilgrim Centre of
 
The Bandel Church is one of the oldest Christian churches in West Bengal. It stands as a memorial to the Portuguese settlement in Bengal. Built around 1660, it is dedicated to Nossa Senhora do Rosário, Our Lady of the Rosary. It is one of the most prominent historical churches in West Bengal.

Around the middle of the 16th century, the Portuguese began using Bandel as a port. During or around 1571, they were given permission by Akbar, the Mughal emperor, to build a town in Hooghly. As they began settling around the area, their priests began to baptise the natives - by 1598, Catholics in Hooghly numbered around five thousand, including natives and mixed races.

In 1579, the Portuguese built a port on the banks of the Hooghly, as well as a fort, and enlisted the services of a band of Augustinian Friars, then the largest religious body in Goa. The following year, Captain Pedro Tavares obtained the emperor's full permission to preach the Catholic faith publicly, and erect churches. Thus the Bandel Church came to be constructed in 1599.

This first church was burnt down during the sacking of Hooghly by the Moors in 1632. A newer church, constructed by Gomez de Soto (also spelt John Comes de Soto), was built over the ruin in 1660. The keystone of the older church can still be seen on the eastern gate of the monastery.

A ship's mast stands in front of the church; it was presented to the church by the captain of a vessel that had encountered a storm in the Bay of Bengal, and its rescue was attributed to Mary. The church has three altars, several tombstones, an organ, and a shrine to Mary.

In 1989 it was declared as Basilica 
Prelates of the Pilgrim Centre of