Pilgrim Centre


St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam
Name:
St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam
Estd:
11th Centuary
Feast Day:
E-mail:
Website:
Telephone (O) +91 4842351516
  Contact: St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam - 682 031    
History
St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, originally founded in 1112 AD, is dedicated to "Our Lady of Ports". The Church is the headquarters of the Major Archeparchy of Ernakulam-Angamaly, which is the Episcopal See of the Syro-Malabar Church. The present church was built in the early twentieth century under the direction of Mar Aloysius Pazheparambil and was elevated to the status of a Basilica by Pope Paul VI on 20 March 1974. The church is also a prominent Marian Pilgrim Centre in South India.

The large, tall and spacious Cathedral has an altar that was used by John Paul II, when he visited India during 7 February, 1986. The altar depicts the Birth, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The two 68 feet tall towers in the front have statues of St Peter and St Paul on top and the bell tower (88 feet high) has St. Thomas statue on top. There is also a beautiful depiction of Jesus Apparition to St Thomas. It is also known by the names Nasrani Palli, Anchukaimal Palli or Thekke Palli.