Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Alleppey
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 700000
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 165680
 
Founded:
19-Jun-52
Diocesan Priests: 95
  Total area:
?333 sq. kms.
Religious Priests: 23
 
Province:
Trivandrum-Latin
Religious Sisters: 362
 
Region:
Kerala
Seminarians: 30
  Patron:
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
  Languages: Malayalam?
  Civil States:

Kerala: Alleppey and Ernakulam

Contact Diocese of Alleppey:
Bishop's House P.B. No. 4804 Alappuzha 688012 - KERALA
Telephone 1:
0477-22 43 363 22 43 362 / 22 43 362
Fax:
22 43 362
 
E-Mail Office:
bpstephen2009@gmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Stephen Athipozhiyil, Bishops of Alleppey
Name:
Most Rev. Stephen Athipozhiyil
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0477-22 44 011
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Alleppey
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. James Raphael Anaparambil Co-Adjutors 2017-
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Alleppey
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
91
 
Hospitals:
5
   
Degree Colleges:
3
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
4
   
Technical Training Centres:
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
7
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
17
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
2
Formation Houses:
7
 
Social Centres:
6
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
8
   
Parallel Colleges:
3
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
6
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
3
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
24
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 5        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Alleppey
 
The Diocese of Alleppey is along the Arabian sea between the Diocese of Cochin and Quilon. It has an are of 33 sq. kms. The total population in the diocesan territory is about 700000. The Catholic population is 135000. The Diocese was erected on the June 19 1952 bifurcating it from the Diocese of Cochin. In 1570 the Jesuit Missionaries started work among St. Thomas Christians in this area. Because of their missionary zeal 5 churches were built: Holy Cross church Purakkad 1570 St. Andrew's church Arthunkal 1581 St. Michael's church Kattor 1590 Holy Cross church Kadakkarappally 1620 St. George church Manakodam 1640 (rebuilt).
Prelates of the Diocese of Alleppey
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Peter M Chenaparambil Bishop 1984 - 2001 Bp. Michael Arattukulam Bishop 1952 - 1984