Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Bhagalpur
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 9176600
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 86903
 
Founded:
11-Jan-65
Diocesan Priests: 98
  Total area:
26000 sq. km.
Religious Priests: 24
 
Province:
Patna
Religious Sisters: 345
 
Region:
Bijhan
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Elizabeth of Hungary St. Louis of France
  Languages: Hindi Santali and Oraon.
  Civil States:

Bhagalpur Godda Sahebganj Jamui Munger GiridihDeoghar and Banka.

Contact Diocese of Bhagalpur:
Chancery Office Nawab Colony Post Box 61Bhagalpur - 812 001 BIHAR
Telephone 1:
0641-24 00 878 /
Fax:
23 01 281
 
E-Mail Office:
chan_bpa@yahoo.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Kurian Valiakandathil, Bishops of Bhagalpur
Name:
Most Rev. Kurian Valiakandathil
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P):
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Bhagalpur
 
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Bhagalpur
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
65
 
Hospitals:
5
   
Degree Colleges:
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
3
   
Technical Training Centres:
1
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
5
   
High Schools:
30
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
4
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
8
 
Social Centres:
3
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
34
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
6
       
Boarding Houses:
3
   
Upper Primary Schools:
44
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
5
       
          Aged & Destitute:        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Bhagalpur
 
The Third Order Regular (TOR) Franciscan Fathers of the province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Loretto Pennyslvania USA came to the Diocese of Patna to assist the Jesuits in 1939. They were then assigned to the Church Station of Bhagalpur Gokhla Poreyahat and Godda.

In 1956 Bhagalpur was cut off from the Diocese of Patna and Prefecture Apostolic was established by the Holy See. Rt. Rev. Msgr. Urban McGarry tor was appointed its first Prefect Apostolic on August 7 1956.

The Diocese of Bhagalpur was erected and its First Bishop Rt. Rev. Urban McGarry tor was appointed on January 25 1965. The present diocese is formed out the south-eastern portion of the Patna diocese and it comprises the district of Bhagalpur Godda district of the Santhal Pargans Divisions Deoghar and Sarawan thanas of the Santhal Parganas Division.

Within a short time of their arrival the TOR Fathers recruited local vocations and a novitiate was started. A further step forward was taken when a Franciscan Monastery (clericate) at Ranchi was established to further the training of Religious Clerics. A Minor Seminary (now Regional Seminary) was opened in 1959 at Bhagalpur where the Franciscan and Diocesan candidates were being trained in the seminary.

Twenty religious congregations of Sisters share a great burden in the apostolic educational and medical activities of the diocese.

On October 8 1970 the Revenue Thana of Chakai Dt. Monghyr (now Jaumui District) embracing Mariampahari and Jhajha formerly of Patna diocese was annexed to the Diocese by the Sacred Congregation for the Evangelization of the peoples in virtue of the faculty granted by Pope Paul VI. Shortly after the part of the Giridih district formerly of Ranchi Archdiocese was likewise annexed to the Diocese of Bhagalpur. In 1984 the parishes of Sokho and Kharagpur formerly of Patna diocese were handed over to the Bhagalpur diocese.
Prelates of the Diocese of Bhagalpur
Bishop NamePrelate Designation PeriodBishop NamePrelate Designation Period
Bp. Thomas Khozimala 1996 - 2005 Bp. George Victor Saupin S.J. 1987 - 1993
Bp. Urban Eugene McGarry T.O.R 1965 - 1987