Ecclesiastical Details

Archdiocese of Guwahati
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: ?6.5 million?
 
Status:
Archdiocese
Catholics: 46111
 
Founded:
10-Jul-95
Diocesan Priests: 31
  Total area:
1180 sq. kms.
Religious Priests: 105
 
Province:
Guwahati
Religious Sisters: 437
 
Region:
North Eastern
Seminarians: 16
  Patron:
Christ the Bearer of the Good News
  Languages: Assamese Rabha Garo Karbi Tiwa Hindi?Bodo Santali Sadri and English
  Civil States:

Nagaon Morigaon Kamrup Nalbai and Goalpara.

Contact Archdiocese of Guwahati:
Archbishop's House P.O. Box 100 - Guwahati 781 001. ASSAM.
Telephone 1:
0361-25 47 664 / 25 15 588
Fax:
25 15 588
 
E-Mail Office:
Website:
 
Most Rev. John Moolachira, Archbishops of Guwahati
Name:
Most Rev. John Moolachira
Designation:
Archbishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P):
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Archdiocese of Guwahati
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Thomas Menamparampil SDB Retired
Pilgrim Centres in theArchdiocese of Guwahati
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
41
 
Hospitals:
4
   
Degree Colleges:
4
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
   
Technical Training Centres:
2
Minor Seminaries:
2
 
Special Schools:
   
High Schools:
34
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
9
Convents:
89
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
1
Formation Houses:
16
 
Social Centres:
8
   
Professional Colleges:
1
Retreat Centres:
1
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
15
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
9
       
Boarding Houses:
62
   
Upper Primary Schools:
9
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
       
De-addiction Centres:
       
          Aged & Destitute: 4        
     
       
History of the Archdiocese of Guwahati
 
Though Guwahati is one of the three new dioceses of North East India it was the first place to be associated with Catholic Church in the region. Two Portuguese Jesuit Fathers reached Hajjo and Guwahati on September 26 1626 on their way to Tibet from Hooghly. These were the first Fathers to set foot in Assam. In June 1850 three Fathers of the Institute of the Foreign Church Work of Paris reached Guwahati. In 1872 Fr Jacopo Broy of the Institute of Foreign Church Work of Milan took up residence in Guwahati and looked after the entire "Assam Mission" from this central place. In Guwahati he built a brick church in 1883. In February 1890 the German Salvatorian Fathers reached Guwahati. Fr Gallus Schrole and Fr Rudolf Fontaine were the great Fathers of the Assam Valley. By this time many Catholics from Chota Nagpur came to work in the Tea Gardens of Assam. In 1922 the Salesians of Don Bosco arrived in North East India. From 1923 Fr Piasecki looked after the whole of Assam Valley from Guwahati.

The Diocese of Guwahati was erected on August 16 1992 carved out from the Diocese of Shillong Tura and Tezpur. Bishop Thomas Menamparampil sdb who was the Bishop of Dibrugarh was transferrred to Guwahati to take charge of the new diocese. With a general population of 6.5 million spread out in an area of 18588.2 sq. km covering five civil districts of Assam: Nagaon Morigaon Kamrup Nalbari and Goalpara Guwahati diocese has the care of a vast number of tribes and communities like the Assamese Rabhas Garos Karbis Tiwas Hajongs Adibasis Santals Bodos and Nepalese. Guwahati became an Archdiocese and Bishop Thomas Menamparampil was made its first Archbishop on August 1 1995. The Archdiocese was bifurcated and the new Diocese of Bongaigaon was erected on August 20 2000.
Prelates of the Archdiocese of Guwahati