Ecclesiastical Details

Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 7,096,401
 
Status:
Archdiocese
Catholics: 331881
 
Founded:
4 July 1832
Diocesan Priests: 149
  Total area:
43 955 sq. kms.
Religious Priests: 188
 
Province:
Madras-Mylapore
Religious Sisters: 46
 
Region:
Tamil Nadu
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Thomas Apostle Our Lady of Mylapore
  Languages: Tamil Malayalam Telugu and English.
  Civil States:

Tamil Nadu: City of Chennai and Thiruvallur

Contact Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore:
Archbishop's House 41 San Thome High Road Chennai - 600 004. Tamil Nadu
Telephone 1:
044-24 64 11 02 24 64 08 33 / 044 - 24 64 19 99
Fax:
044 - 24 64 19 99
 
E-Mail Office:
archmsml@gmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. George Antonysamy, Archbishops of Madras - Mylapore
Name:
Most Rev. George Antonysamy
Designation:
Archbishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P):
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Malayappan Chinnappa SDB Retired
Pilgrim Centres in theArchdiocese of Madras - Mylapore
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
130
 
Hospitals:
44
   
Degree Colleges:
14
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
27
   
Technical Training Centres:
45
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
4
   
High Schools:
43
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
60
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
24
 
Social Centres:
23
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
68
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
13
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
5
       
De-addiction Centres:
4
       
          Aged & Destitute: 5        
     
       
History of the Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore
 
The Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore is in the state of Tamil Nadu and includes the city of Chennai and districts of Thiruvallur and Kancheepuram.

According to the tradition Christianity was introduced into Mylapore and its suburbs by the Apostle St. Thomas. He was martyred on St. Thomas Mount near Mylapore in 72. A.D. and his remains were buried at Mylapore in the sepulchre which lies in the Cathedral Basilica.

The old diocese of Mylapore was erected by Pope Paul V on 9th January 1606.

The Vicariate Apostolic of Madras was created on 4th July 1832 and confirmed on 25th April 1934. This Vicariate Apostolic was raised to an Archepiscopal See on 1st September 1886.

The Diocese of Mylapore was from the very beginning under the Portuguese Padroado and in 1950 passed over to the jurisdiction of the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith.

By the Apostolic Constitution "Exprimaevae Ecclesae" of 13th November 1952 portions of the Archdiocese of Madras and the Diocese of Mylapore were dismembered. From the western portion of the Archdiocese of Madras the Diocese of Vellore was created. The extreme southern portion of the Diocese of Mylapore was created into the Diocese of Thanjavur. From the remaining portions a new Archdiocese was created to be known as the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore. On 14th November 1952 Most Rev Dr. Louis Mathias sdb was transferred from the old Archdiocese of Madras to the new Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore and on 29th November 1952 made his solemn entry and took charge of the new Archdiocese.
Prelates of the Archdiocese of Madras - Mylapore