Ecclesiastical Details

Diocese of Mysore
Heirarchy of the Diocese
Rite:
Latin
Population: 5,940,262
 
Status:
Diocese
Catholics: 63218
 
Founded:
1 September 1886
Diocesan Priests: 98
  Total area:
1166 sqkm
Religious Priests: 22
 
Province:
Bangalore
Religious Sisters: 863
 
Region:
Karnataka
Seminarians:
  Patron:
St. Joseph
  Languages: KannadaKonkani Malayalam English
  Civil States:

Karnataka: Mysore Mandya Coorg and Chamarajanagar

Contact Diocese of Mysore:
Bishop's House B.N. RoadMysore 570 001. KARNATAKA.
Telephone 1:
0821-24 43 545 / 0821-25 65 708
Fax:
25 65 708
 
E-Mail Office:
bishmysore@gmail.com
Website:
 
Most Rev. Kannikadass William Antony, Bishops of Mysore
Name:
Most Rev. Kannikadass William Antony
Designation:
Bishops     E-mail (P):
Canonical Possession:
    Telephone (P): 0821-24 48 395
 
Other Present & Retired Ordinaries of the Diocese of Mysore
 
Bishop NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Thomas Antony Vazhapilly Retired
Pilgrim Centres in theDiocese of Mysore
 
Ecclesiastical Institutions
 
Social / Charitable Institutions / Care Centres
Educational Institutions
Parishes:
76
 
Hospitals:
9
   
Degree Colleges:
3
Major Seminaries:
 
Orphanages:
5
   
Technical Training Centres:
5
Minor Seminaries:
 
Special Schools:
4
   
High Schools:
54
Monastries:
 
Crches:
   
Lower Primary Schools:
23
Convents:
 
Counselling Centres:
   
Presses & Media Centres:
Formation Houses:
34
 
Social Centres:
7
   
Professional Colleges:
Retreat Centres:
 
Dispensaries / Clinics:
14
   
Parallel Colleges:
 
Physically Challenged:
   
Higher Secondary :
21
       
Boarding Houses:
   
Upper Primary Schools:
54
       
HIV / AIDS Centres:
   
Nurseries/Pre-Primary :
22
       
De-addiction Centres:
8
       
          Aged & Destitute: 5        
     
       
History of the Diocese of Mysore
 
The Mission of Mysore was separated from the Vicariate Apostolic of Pondicherry on March 16 1845 to become first a pro-Vicariate and then in 1850 a Vicariate Apostolic entrusted to Msgr Charbonnaux who was till then Co-adjutor to the Bishop of Pondicherry.

In 1886 the Vicariate of Mysore was elevated to a Diocese and its Vicar Apostolic Msgr Coadou became its First Bishop residing however in Bangalore. Untill 1940 the Diocese of Mysore included the entire districts of Mysore Coorg and Kollegal but on February 13 1940 by the Apostolic Letter "Felicius Increscente" of Pius XII Bangalore was separated from Mysore and the Bishop of former Mysore Diocese Bp M.B. Despatures became the Bishop of Bangalore comprising the districts of Bangalore Kolar Tumkur and Chitradurga.

The Diocese of Mysore (as distinct from Bangalore) was reconstituted in 1941 with the addition of the Nilgiris district and part of the Coimbatore district.

However 15 years later on July 3 1955 by the Apostolic Constitution "Nuntiatur in Psalmis" of Pope Pius XII these districts of Nilgiris and Coimbatore were again separated from Mysore and erected into Diocese of Ootacamund (Ooty) in Tamil Nadu.

On November 16 1963 by the Apostolic Constitution "Indicae Regionis Conditio" of Pope Paul VI three most districts Chikmagalur Hassan Shimoga were separated from the Mysore Diocese to form the Diocese of Chikmagalur.

The present Diocese of Mysore comprises the four districts of Mysore Mandya Coorg & Chamarajanagara. It is surrounded by the Archdiocese of Bangalore Diocese of Ooty Calicut Mangalore and Chikmagalur.
Prelates of the Diocese of Mysore